WESTCHESTER COUNTY CIVIL SERVICE PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
FOR CURRENT EMPLOYEES
County Service · Westchester Medical Center · Towns · Villages · School Districts
Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 10/4/21
Exam #: 70-711
Exam Date: 12/11/21
HEAD CUSTODIAL WORKER
A NON-REFUNDABLE $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
Westchester County is only accepting applications submitted on-line for our civil service examinations. Paper Applications WILL NOT be accepted.
TO APPLY ON-LINE VISIT: WWW.WESTCHESTERGOV.COM/HR
Candidates may use computers available at the Westchester County One-Stop Employment Center, located at 120 Bloomingdale Road in White Plains, or at local libraries in Westchester County to complete the on-line application. The NON-REFUNDABLE application processing fee MUST be paid on-line using a credit card. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express and Pre-paid cards are accepted. Please call (914) 995-2388, if you have any questions.
Varies with School District
Immediately preceding the time of examination must have 12 months continuous permanent competitive class status as a Senior Custodial Worker in the appointing jurisdiction;
Immediately preceding the time of examination must have 24 months continuous permanent non-competitive class status as a Custodial Worker, Custodial Worker – Bus Driver or Custodial Worker – Groundskeeper in the appointing jurisdiction.
Candidates are eligible for appointment only in the jurisdiction in which they have status at the time of examination.
Candidates must continue to meet promotional qualifications in order to maintain their standing on the list and be eligible for appointment. If you qualify for the examination based on your status on a preferred list, your name remains active on the list as long as you are on the preferred list.
Persons who are currently employed under Section 55a, New York State Civil Service Law, and who meet all the above eligibility requirements in the non-competitive rather than competitive class may compete in this examination.
Under general supervision, employees in this class are responsible for the efficient and economical maintenance of a school facility, and have complete charge of school building cleaning, maintenance and minor repair activities. In large districts, this class is usually in charge of only one building under the general supervision of a higher level administrator. In smaller districts, a Head Custodial Worker may have charge over two or more buildings and be responsible to the Business Manager, Assistant Superintendent or an equivalent administrator. Considerable independent judgment is usually involved in carrying out the responsibilities of this position. Supervision is exercised over Senior Custodial Workers, Custodial Workers, Cleaners and/or maintenance personnel. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
Candidates who qualify for this promotional examination may also apply to the open-competitive examination, exam # 64-234, to be held on the same day.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
• WRITTEN TEST - designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Ability to read and follow written instructions - These questions test for the ability to read, understand and apply written instructions for performing tasks similar to those encountered on the job. All the information needed to answer these questions will be provided in the test booklet.
2. Building cleaning - These questions test for knowledge of basic principles and practices of building cleaning. They cover such areas as equipment, tools, supplies, methods and procedures for cleaning different types of surfaces and materials under various, commonly occurring circumstances.
3. Building operation and maintenance - These questions test for knowledge of the basic principles, practices and techniques essential to the correct operation and maintenance of public buildings. They cover such areas as building maintenance; preventive maintenance, and minor repair of electrical and plumbing systems; methods and equipment for snow removal; building safety and equipment storage.
4. Operation and routine maintenance of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems - These questions test for knowledge of basic principles, practices and techniques essential to the correct operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, including such areas as minor cleaning; room temperature and building ventilation control; steam, hot water and hot air heating systems; boiler operation; troubleshooting air conditioning system problems, and proper maintenance of air conditioning systems.
5. Supervision and training - These questions test for the knowledge required by a supervisor to set goals, plan and organize work, train workers in how to do their jobs, and direct workers towards meeting established goals. The supervisory questions cover such areas as assigning and reviewing work, evaluating performance, maintaining work quality, motivating employees, increasing efficiency, and dealing with problems that may arise on the job. The training questions cover such areas as determining the necessity for training, selecting appropriate training methods, and evaluating the effectiveness of training.
Test guide: A Guide for the Written Test for High-level Custodians/Janitors is available at the New York State website: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm. Candidates not having access to a computer or the internet may request copy of the test guide from the municipal civil service office conducting this examination using the contact information found elsewhere on this announcement.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. Unless otherwise notified, candidates are ALLOWED to use quiet, hand-held solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries, or any similar devices are prohibited. You may not bring books or other reference materials to the examination location.
2. If you are filing for examinations offered by other agencies (New York State, another County, Cities of Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, etc.) that are being given on the same date as this examination, you must make arrangements to take all examinations at one test site. You are also required to complete and return the Cross Filer Form, available at Westchester County Department of Human Resources, 148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100, White Plains, NY 10601 or download the form at www.westchestergov.com/hr, to this office no less than two (2) weeks prior to the examination date. Failure to provide such information on time may result in disqualification from one or more examinations in this series. There is NO reciprocity with New York City and you must make a choice between the two jurisdictions. Furthermore, if you have applied for both New York State and Westchester County examinations, you must take all examinations at the state examination center. Candidates must take admission notices for all participating examinations on that test date to the state examination center and include all examination numbers on your test materials. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL 914-995-2117. DO NOT CONTACT NEW YORK STATE.
3. Candidates who fail to receive either their admission notice or final disqualification notice by the Thursday prior to the examination are responsible for calling the Department of Human Resources (995-2117), for instructions.
4. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
5. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
6. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
7. Veterans and Veterans with Disabilities, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Veteran with a disability, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits. Veterans who previously used non-disabled veteran credits for appointment to a position in New York State or local government AND, after his/her appointment, was subsequently classified by the Veterans Administration as a disabled veteran, are now eligible for an award of additional veteran credits. If you are claiming additional disabled veteran credits as a result of the Amendment to Section Six of Article Five of the New York State Constitution effective January 1, 2014, Form 102 Authorization for Disability Record and Form 102S Authorization for Verification of Non-Disabled Veterans Credits Use must be submitted. Completed forms must be received by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources before an eligible list is established in order to be granted credits on that eligible list.
SENIORITY: Excluding the first year, points will be added to an eligible score as follows: 1.0 point for each 5 years or fraction thereof of permanent status in the classified service in Westchester County or Appointing Authority (as applicable) from 1 year to 26 years, calculated in years and months, not days. (0-1 year = 0; over 1 year - 6 years = 1; over 6 years - 11 years = 2; over 11 years - 16 years = 3; over 16 years - 21 years = 4; over 21 years - 26 years = 5)
HOW TO APPLY
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
APPLICATION FILING FEE: A $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE MUST BE PAID ONLINE USING A CREDIT CARD.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
ALTERNATE TEST DAY REQUESTS: The Department of Human Resources periodically receives requests to reschedule candidates for civil service examinations under exceptional circumstances because individuals are unable to participate in the exams on their scheduled dates.
Upon presentation of appropriate documentation, the Department of Human Resources may grant an alternate test date. The granting of alternate test date is at the discretion of the Department of Human Resources. Examples such as the following may be considered as reasons for granting an alternate test date:
Candidates who have met the criteria may be eligible for one alternate test date. As soon as a candidate is aware of a conflict prior to the scheduled test date, the candidate should notify the Examinations Unit by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call at (914) 995-2388. The request should contain a complete explanation of the reason the candidate cannot take the test on the scheduled date and include appropriate supporting documentation. It is essential that the Examinations Unit receive these requests before the date of the written test. Requests received on the date of the written test or thereafter will not be considered, unless they involve unforeseen emergencies. A medical emergency or illness occurring on the date of the examination must be documented by a medical professional seen on the date of the examination.
For emergencies, such as illness or death in the family, which occur on the scheduled written test date, the candidate must notify the Examinations Unit no later than close of business the Monday following the test date. If the candidate is unable to contact us, a family or household member, may, on the candidate's behalf, notify the Examinations Unit of the need for an alternate test date.
After consideration, the Examination Administration Unit will notify the candidate as to whether or not the request is granted.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application.
Westchester County Department of Human Resources
148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100
White Plains, New York 10601
FAX: (914) 995-2009
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
We may contact you with exam related correspondence (i.e. Admission Notice, Notice of Exam Results, Request for Additional Information and Transcripts, Disqualification Notices etc.) through e-mail. Candidates are responsible for maintaining valid e-mail and responding to e-mail notifications regarding Westchester County Civil Service examinations.
Admission cards may not be mailed to candidates until ten days prior to the examination date.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.