CIVIL SERVICE CAREER
County Service · Westchester Medical Center · Towns · Villages · School Districts
Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 9/30/23
Date Posted: 9/1/23
JBCL: 0234, S234
Exam #: 85-179
Exam Date: 11/30/23
Evaluation of Training and Experience Only AND Language Oral Proficiency Test
LIBRARY ASSISTANT (SPANISH SPEAKING)
Cities of Peekskill and Rye,
School Districts & Special Districts
A NON-REFUNDABLE $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
Westchester County is only accepting applications submitted on-line for our civil service examinations. Paper Applications WILL NOT be accepted.
TO APPLY ON-LINE VISIT: WWW.WESTCHESTERGOV.COM/HR
Varies with Jurisdiction
There are no residence requirements to participate in the examination, but preference in appointment may be given to eligibles that have been residents in the appointing jurisdiction for 30 days prior to the examination and at the effective date of appointment.
A Bachelor’s Degree*
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education.
ALL CANDIDATES QUALIFYING BY POST HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION MUST SUBMIT AN OFFICIAL (RAISED SEAL AND SIGNED BY REGISTRAR) TRANSCRIPT(S) TO THIS OFFICE BY JANUARY 30, 2024, UNLESS ALREADY ON FILE IN OUR OFFICE. IF IT IS ON FILE, PLEASE INDICATE THIS ON YOUR APPLICATION. FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE REQUIRED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A SCORE FOR THIS EXAMINATION.
NOTE: If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside of the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. Please access this website for details www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. Evaluation fees must be paid by the applicant.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS: In accordance with the Safe Schools Against Violence Education (SAVE) legislation, Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, candidates for appointment in school districts must obtain clearance for employment from the State Education Department prior to employment based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check.
Incumbents of this title perform paraprofessional librarian or specialized non-librarian duties, initially under the direct day-to-day supervision of professional librarians and ultimately functioning more independently within the scope of prescribed responsibilities. Incumbents provide interpretive and information services, and may perform the full range of duties or concentrate in one area, depending on the needs of the library. Incumbents must be fluent in both Spanish and English languages and possess an aptitude for library work, but do not require a Master's degree in Library Science. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
This examination will also be given on a promotional basis on the same day, and the resulting eligible list will have preference in making appointments. If you qualify for the promotional examination, you must file a separate application for each examination.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
There will be no written test for this examination. This examination includes:
The language oral proficiency test will be rated on a pass-fail basis. Candidates must pass both the evaluation of training and experience test and the qualifying foreign language oral proficiency test in order to be eligible for appointment.
Candidates must first complete an examination application online on or before the last filing date of SEPTEMBER 30, 2023.
Approved candidates will be sent a notice containing directions to a website address needed to complete a Training and Experience Questionnaire.
The Training and Experience Questionnaire will be available on NOVEMBER 1, 2023, and approved candidates will be required to complete and submit this questionnaire between NOVEMBER 1, 2023 and midnight, NOVEMBER 30, 2023.
NOTE: Candidates will not be able to claim any credit for training or experience gained after the application filing deadline of September 30, 2023.
Candidates who fail to submit a questionnaire by midnight, NOVEMBER 30, 2023 will not receive a rating.
SPANISH ORAL LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST - As prescribed by The New York State Department of Civil Service, candidates will be subject to a Spanish Oral Language Proficiency Test. For this examination, the Spanish Oral Language Proficiency Test will be held at a later date during the work week. As determined by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources, the Spanish Proficiency Level required for this examination is Level 2.
LEVEL 2 - INTERMEDIATE PROFICIENCY - Able to speak the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversation on practical, social and professional topics not requiring specialized vocabulary. Can read with understanding standard newspapers, correspondence and official documents.
This exam will evaluate proficiency of listening and reading comprehension, as well as oral abilities. Language proficiency is evaluated in terms of:
1. GRAMMAR - grammatical accuracy of words and groups of related words, correct use of syntax and sentence structure.
2. VOCABULARY - adequacy of vocabulary (both sufficiency and accuracy of use) for the topics discussed.
3. FLUENCY - general smoothness and evenness of discourse.
4. CONTENT - relevance and completeness of statements and questions, clarity of ideas, and level of communication.
SPANISH LANGUAGE ORAL PROFICIENCY WAIVER POLICY: Candidates who have already passed the qualifying Level 2 Spanish Oral Language Proficiency Test, given by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources or the New York State Department of Civil Service, may be waived from the required language proficiency test for this examination. Candidates seeking such a waiver must provide original documentation from the testing agency that shall include the following information: Examination/Test date and Spanish Language Oral Proficiency Level. Requests for waiver, and all supporting documentation, must be submitted with your application, and will not be accepted after you have participated in the written examination.
*SPECIAL NOTE: The Westchester County Department of Human Resources reserves the right to administer the Language Proficiency test either to only candidates who pass the written test or to all who sat for the written test. Those who will be tested for language proficiency will be notified by the Department of Human Resources about the time and place of this test.
In accordance with Section 23.2 of Civil Service Law, candidates may not review their examination papers and may not appeal their examination results. However, at the written request of a candidate, the accuracy of his/her score will be verified.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
2. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
3. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
4. Veterans and Veterans with Disabilities, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Veteran with a disability, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits.
Veterans who previously used non-disabled veteran credits for appointment to a position in New York State or local government AND, after his/her appointment, was subsequently classified by the Veterans Administration as a disabled veteran, are now eligible for an award of additional veteran credits. If you are claiming additional disabled veteran credits as a result of the Amendment to Section Six of Article Five of the New York State Constitution effective January 1, 2014, Form 102 Authorization for Disability Record and Form 102S Authorization for Verification of Non-Disabled Veterans Credits Use must be submitted. Completed forms must be received by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources before an eligible list is established in order to be granted credits on that eligible list.
5. In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points on a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION FILING FEE: A $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE MUST BE PAID ONLINE USING A CREDIT CARD.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Social Security Income payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. The fee may also be waived for those who are serving active military duty and for Veterans (as defined in Section 50(5)(b) of the New York State Civil Service Law). Documentation proving eligibility must be submitted with each application. All claims for application fee waivers are subject to verification.
Westchester County Department of Human Resources
148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100
White Plains, New York 10601
FAX: (914) 995-2009
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.