WESTCHESTER COUNTY CIVIL SERVICE
County Service · Westchester Medical Center · Towns · Villages · School Districts
Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 2/22/19
Date Posted: 1/23/19
Exam #: 67-593
Exam Date: 4/27/19
Towns, Villages, Special Districts, Cities of Peekskill and Rye
A NON-REFUNDABLE $100.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXAMINATION. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
Westchester County is only accepting applications submitted on-line for our civil service examinations. Paper Applications WILL NOT be accepted.
TO APPLY ON-LINE VISIT: WWW.WESTCHESTERGOV.COM/HR
Candidates may use computers available at Westchester County One-Stop Employment Center located at 120 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains or local libraries in Westchester County to complete the online application. The non-refundable application processing fee must be paid online using a credit card. (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and Pre-paid cards are accepted. Please call 914-995-2388 if you have any questions).
Varies with Jurisdiction
All candidates for examination must be a legal resident of Westchester County at the time of examination for at least one month prior thereto (March 27, 2019) and at the time of appointment. Candidates will be required to submit proof of residency when requested.
The following documents will be accepted as proof of residency:
· 2018 Tax transcript (must request from IRS)
· Most recent utility bill (electric, water, gas, etc.)
· Most recent phone bill (land line only)
· Most recent mortgage bill
· Most recent rent bill or lease and copy of proof of latest month’s payment (cancelled check or copy of money order)
· Most recent property or school tax bill
The list will be used to fill vacancies as they occur in all Westchester County Towns, Villages, Special Districts and the Cities of Peekskill and Rye.
Preference may be given to eligibles who were residents of the appointing jurisdiction at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, so long as they actually reside, at the time of the appointment, in the municipality given in the application.
There are no minimum requirements to participate in this exam.
NOTE: Some fire departments and/or fire districts may require candidates to attain EMT status by the end of the probationary period.
THE LAST DATE TO FILE FOR THIS EXAMINATION IS 2/22/19. YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM AND APPLICATION FILING FEE MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 11:59 P.M. ON THE LAST FILING DATE. THE NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE MUST BE PAID ONLINE USING A CREDIT CARD.
This work is of a hazardous nature, involving responsibility for fire fighting and prevention, salvage and rescue operations and requires mental acuity and physical stamina in the performance of duties. Fire fighting and fire prevention duties are performed under the direct supervision of superior officers. Routine maintenance work and custodial work on the station house and equipment is performed under general supervision and inspected upon completion. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
Appointment to one department from this eligible list results in ineligibility for certification of a candidate’s name to other departments.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
This examination will consist of three parts:
IF A CANDIDATE FAILS THE MEDICAL OR PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST, THE CANDIDATE WILL BE PERMANENTLY REMOVED FROM THE CIVIL SERVICE ELIGIBLE LIST FOR THIS TITLE.
• WRITTEN TEST - designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Ability to learn and apply information - These questions test for the ability to learn new information and apply it to answer questions effectively. Candidates will read information presented in a Training Lesson and then answer questions regarding the information and procedures covered in the Training Lesson. All information needed to answer the questions will be provided in the Training Lesson, and candidates will be able to refer to the Training Lesson when answering the questions. Some of the questions may require candidates to combine information from different portions of what has been learned in the Training Lesson. No prior knowledge of any specific job or subject matter is needed.
2. Basic arithmetic - This section requires candidates to use basic arithmetic (add, subtract, multiply, divide) to find a missing value in a table of numbers. Candidates will not need to refer to the Training Lesson or any other section of the test to answer the questions in this section. All information needed to answer each question will be contained in this section. No knowledge of firefighting or any other job is required. Candidates should bring a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. Candidates will not be permitted to use the calculator function on their cell phone.
3. Reading comprehension - These questions test for the ability to understand written materials (e.g., sentences, passages) and answer questions about the information presented. Candidates will be provided with reading passages, followed by questions related to each passage. Each question will require candidates to demonstrate that they have read and understood the information contained in the passage.
4. Situational judgment - This section tests for the ability to identify appropriate and effective responses to work-related challenges. Candidates will be presented with several scenarios that reflect the types of challenges one could encounter in a work environment. They will then be asked to rate the effectiveness of a number of possible responses to each scenario.
A Guide for the Written Test for Firefighter is available at the New York State website: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm. Candidates not having access to a computer or the internet may request copy of the test guide from the municipal civil service office conducting this examination using the contact information found elsewhere on this announcement.
Candidates not having access to a computer or the internet may request copy of the test guide from the Westchester County Department of Human Resources, 148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100, White Plains, NY 10601.
• PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL TESTS - The current Medical Standards of the National Fire Protection Association are available at the Westchester County Department of Human Resources for a fee of $10.00. Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Orientation and Preparation Guide is available at the Westchester County Department of Human Resources and on our website at www.westchestergov.com/hr. The Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) consists of eight separate events: Stair Climb, Hose Drag, Equipment Carry, Ladder Raise and Extension, Forcible Entry, Search, Rescue and Ceiling, Breach and Pull. This test is a sequence of events that requires the candidate to progress along a predetermined path from event to event in a continuous manner. This is a pass/fail test based on a validated maximum total time of 10 minutes and 20 seconds.
In these events, the candidate wears a 50 pound vest to simulate the weight of self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and firefighter protective clothing. An additional 25 pounds using two 12.5 pounds weights that simulate a high rise pack (hose bundle) is added for the stair climb event.
If a candidate fails the Medical or Physical Fitness Test, candidate’s name will be permanently removed from the civil service eligible list for this title. If a Candidate has passed the Candidate Physical Ability Test within the past 24 months, the qualifying test may be waived. Eligible Candidates must retest and satisfy the requirements of the Candidate Physical Ability Test again after the two (2) year period.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. Unless otherwise notified, candidates are RECOMMENDED to use quiet, hand-held solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries, or any similar devices are prohibited. You may not bring books or other reference materials to the examination location.
2. If you are filing for examinations offered by other agencies (New York State, another County, Cities of Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, etc.) that are being given on the same date as this examination, you must make arrangements to take all examinations at one test site. You are also required to complete and return the Cross Filer Form, available at Westchester County Department of Human Resources, 148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100, White Plains, NY 10601 or download the form at www.westchestergov.com/hr, to this office no less than two (2) weeks prior to the examination date. Failure to provide such information on time may result in disqualification from one or more examinations in this series. There is NO reciprocity with New York City and you must make a choice between the two jurisdictions. Furthermore, if you have applied for both New York State and Westchester County examinations, you must take all examinations at the state examination center. Candidates must take admission notices for all participating examinations on that test date to the state examination center and include all examination numbers on your test materials. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL 914-995-2117. DO NOT CONTACT NEW YORK STATE.
3. Candidates who fail to receive either their admission notice or final disqualification notice by the Thursday prior to the examination are responsible for calling the Department of Human Resources (995-2117), for instructions.
4. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
5. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
6. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
7. Veterans and Veterans with Disabilities, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Veteran with a disability, submit form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and submit a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits. Veterans who previously used non-disabled veteran credits for appointment to a position in New York State or local government AND, after his/her appointment, was subsequently classified by the Veterans Administration as a disabled veteran, are now eligible for an award of additional veteran credits. If you are claiming additional disabled veteran credits as a result of the Amendment to Section Six of Article Five of the New York State Constitution effective January 1, 2014, Form 102 Authorization for Disability Record and Form 102S Authorization for Verification of Non-Disabled Veterans Credits Use must be submitted. Completed forms must be received by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources before an eligible list is established in order to be granted credits on that eligible list.
8. In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points on a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
HOW TO APPLY
Westchester County is only accepting applications submitted online for the 2019 Firefighter examination. Paper Applications will not be accepted.
TO APPLY ONLINE VISIT WWW.WESTCHESTERGOV.COM/HR
APPLICATION FILING FEE:
A $100.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXAMINATION. THE NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE MUST BE PAID ONLINE USING A CREDIT CARD.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Security Income payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. The fee may also be waived for those who are serving active military duty. Documentation proving eligibility must be submitted with each application. All claims for application fee waivers are subject to verification.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
ALTERNATE TEST DAY REQUESTS: The Department of Human Resources periodically receives requests to reschedule candidates for civil service examinations under exceptional circumstances because individuals are unable to participate in the exams on their scheduled dates.
Upon presentation of appropriate documentation, the Department of Human Resources may grant an alternate test date. The granting of alternate test date is at the discretion of the Department of Human Resources. Examples such as the following may be considered as reasons for granting an alternate test date:
Candidates who have met the criteria may be eligible for one alternate test date. A written request with appropriate documentation justifying the request must be submitted to the Examination Administration Unit. With no exception, alternate test date requests must include documentation verifying the exceptional circumstance which precludes the candidate from appearing. After consideration, the Examination Administration Unit will notify the candidate as to whether or not the request is granted.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application.
Westchester County Department of Human Resources
148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100
White Plains, New York 10601
FAX: (914) 995-2009
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
We may contact you with exam related correspondence (i.e. Admission Notice, Notice of Exam Results, Request for Additional Information and Transcripts, Disqualification Notices etc.) through e-mail. Candidates are responsible for maintaining valid e-mail and responding to e-mail notifications regarding Westchester County Civil Service examinations.
Admission cards may not be mailed to candidates until ten days prior to the examination date.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.