CIVIL SERVICE CAREER
County Service · Westchester Medical Center · Towns · Villages · School Districts
Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 07/31/20
Date Posted: 07/01/20
JBCL: 0220, S220
Exam #: 60-052
Exam Date: 09/30/20
Evaluation of Training and Experience Only
ASSISTANT LIBRARY DIRECTOR III
Cities of Peekskill and Rye,
A NON-REFUNDABLE $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
Westchester County is only accepting applications submitted on-line for our civil service examinations. Paper Applications WILL NOT be accepted.
TO APPLY ON-LINE VISIT: WWW.WESTCHESTERGOV.COM/HR
Candidates may use computers available at the Westchester County One-Stop Employment Center, located at 120 Bloomingdale Road in White Plains, or at local libraries in Westchester County to complete the on-line application. The NON-REFUNDABLE application processing fee MUST be paid on-line using a credit card. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express and Pre-paid cards are accepted. Please call (914) 995-2388 if you have any questions.
Varies with Jurisdiction
There are no residence requirements to participate in the examination, but preference in appointment may be given to eligibles that have been residents in the appointing jurisdiction for 30 days prior to the examination and at the effective date of appointment.
Possession of a Master's Degree* in Library Science from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable education practices, and five (5) years of professional library experience, at least one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Eligibility for a New York State public librarian's professional certificate at time of application for appointment; possession of certificate at time of appointment.
NOTES: (1) The number of years of experience required in the minimum qualifications is based upon the presumption of full-time employment. Part-time experience will be prorated based on a 35 hour workweek. (2) Verified and documented volunteer (unpaid) experience will only be credited when specifically allowed by the job description or examination announcement.
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
ALL CANDIDATES QUALIFYING BY POST HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION MUST SUBMIT AN OFFICIAL (RAISED SEAL AND SIGNED BY REGISTRAR) TRANSCRIPT(S) TO THIS OFFICE BY NOVEMBER 30, 2020 UNLESS ALREADY ON FILE IN OUR OFFICE. IF IT IS ON FILE, PLEASE INDICATE THIS ON YOUR APPLICATION. FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE REQUIRED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A SCORE FOR THIS EXAMINATION.
NOTE: If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside of the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to this Department for a list of acceptable companies providing this service; you must pay the required evaluation fee.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS: In accordance with the Safe Schools Against Violence Education (SAVE) legislation, Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, candidates for appointment in school districts must obtain clearance for employment from the State Education Department prior to employment based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check.
Under the general direction of the Library Director III, an incumbent of this class is responsible for assigned phases of library administration and services. Work is almost entirely administrative and is performed in accordance with prescribed policy; however, incumbents are allowed considerable leeway for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. The incumbent acts for and on behalf of the Library Director as needed. Supervision is exercised over professional and support staff. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
There will be no written or oral test for this examination. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will receive a rating based upon an evaluation of your training and experience against the duties of the position being tested.
Candidates must first complete an examination application and return it to the Westchester County Department of Human Resources on or before the last filing date of July 31, 2020.
Approved candidates will be sent a notice containing directions to a website address needed to complete a Training and Experience Questionnaire.
The Training and Experience Questionnaire will be available on September 1, 2020, and approved candidates will be required to complete and submit this questionnaire between September 1, 2020 and midnight, September 30, 2020. NOTE: Candidates will not be able to claim any credit for training or experience gained after the application filing deadline of July 31, 2020.
Candidates who fail to submit a questionnaire by midnight, September 30, 2020, will not receive a rating.
In accordance with Section 23.2 of Civil Service Law, candidates may not review their examination papers and may not appeal their examination results. However, at the written request of a candidate, the accuracy of his/her score will be verified.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
2. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
3. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
4. Veterans and Veterans with Disabilities, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Veteran with a disability, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits.
Veterans who previously used non-disabled veteran credits for appointment to a position in New York State or local government AND, after his/her appointment, was subsequently classified by the Veterans Administration as a disabled veteran, are now eligible for an award of additional veteran credits. If you are claiming additional disabled veteran credits as a result of the Amendment to Section Six of Article Five of the New York State Constitution effective January 1, 2014, Form 102 Authorization for Disability Record and Form 102S Authorization for Verification of Non-Disabled Veterans Credits Use must be submitted. Completed forms must be received by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources before an eligible list is established in order to be granted credits on that eligible list.
5. In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points on a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION FILING FEE: A $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE MUST BE PAID ONLINE USING A CREDIT CARD.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Social Security Income payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. The fee may also be waived for those who are serving active military duty. Documentation proving eligibility must be submitted with each application. All claims for application fee waivers are subject to verification.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
Westchester County Department of Human Resources
148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100
White Plains, New York 10601
FAX: (914) 995-2009
We may contact you with exam related correspondence (i.e. Admission Notice, Notice of Exam Results, Request for Additional Information and Transcripts, Disqualification Notices etc.) through e-mail. Candidates are responsible for maintaining valid e-mail and responding to e-mail notifications regarding Westchester County Civil Service examinations.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.