CIVIL SERVICE CAREER
County Service · Westchester Medical Center · Towns · Villages · School Districts
Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 10/10/16
Exam #: 69-589
Exam Date: 12/10/16
WRITTEN AND DATABASE PERFORMANCE TESTS
Westchester County/Westchester Medical Center*
A NON-REFUNDABLE $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
$41,065 - Starting Salary
$50,035 - Maximum reached
in four additional steps
Westchester Medical Center
In accordance with negotiated agreement
There are no residence requirements to participate in the examination, but preference in appointment may be given to eligibles that have been residents in the appointing jurisdiction for 30 days prior to the examination and at the effective date of appointment.
High school or equivalency diploma and three years of experience in financial record keeping, at least one year of which must have involved the use of automated systems.
SUBSTITUTION: Satisfactory completion of 30 credits* towards a Bachelor's Degree which included coursework in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration may be substituted on a year for year basis up to three years.
NOTES: (1) The number of years of experience required in the minimum qualifications is based upon the presumption of full-time employment. Part-time experience will be prorated based on a 35 hour workweek. (2) Verified and documented volunteer (unpaid) experience will only be credited when specifically allowed by the job description or examination announcement.
ONLY EXPERIENCE GAINED AFTER ATTAINING THE MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL INDICATED IN THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED IN EVALUATING EXPERIENCE.
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
ALL CANDIDATES QUALIFYING BY POST HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION MUST SUBMIT AN OFFICIAL (RAISED SEAL AND SIGNED BY REGISTRAR) TRANSCRIPT(S) TO THIS OFFICE BY FEBRUARY 10, 2017, UNLESS ALREADY ON FILE IN OUR OFFICE. IF IT IS ON FILE, PLEASE INDICATE THIS ON YOUR APPLICATION. FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE REQUIRED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A SCORE FOR THIS EXAMINATION.
If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside of the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to this Department for a list of acceptable companies providing this service; you must pay the required evaluation fee.
*Please note: The Westchester Medical Center is a public benefit corporation that is separate and distinct from the County of Westchester. Although it is not a Westchester County Department, employees at the Medical Center are public employees subject to the rules and regulations of New York State Civil Service Commission. Currently, confirmed by court ruling, the Westchester County Department of Human Resources administers civil service for the Medical Center. Should that decision change, Westchester County may suspend the use of civil service examinations and subsequent eligible lists in this title for appointment to positions in the Westchester Medical Center.
Under general supervision, an incumbent of this class is responsible for performing advanced level financial record keeping duties requiring the exercise of independent judgment in the application of prescribed practices and procedures. Incumbents are responsible for maintaining varied accounting records and reports; examining and compiling figures in support of regular reporting requirements; performing bank reconciliations and complex clerical tasks relating to grants, contracts, purchase orders and routine financial records. This class differs from the higher level Accounting Control Specialist in that employees at the higher level are normally responsible for providing first-line supervision as well as coordinating, organizing and participating in the performance of more complex account keeping functions. The Account Clerk may supervise a small number of lower level clerical personnel. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
This examination will also be given on a promotional basis on the same day, and the resulting eligible list will have preference in making appointments. If you qualify for the promotional examination, you must file a separate application for each examination.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
This examination will consist of two parts: a weighted multiple-choice written examination and a Database performance test, which may be held on a separate weekday date.
WRITTEN TEST is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Arithmetic computation with calculator - These questions test for the ability to use a calculator to do basic computations. Questions will involve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You may also be asked to calculate averages, to use percents, and to round an answer to the nearest whole number. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
2. Name and number checking - These questions test for the ability to distinguish between sets of words, letters, and/or numbers that are almost exactly alike. Material is usually presented in two or three columns, and you will have to determine how the entry in the first column compares with the entry in the second column and possibly the third. You will be instructed to mark your answers according to a designated code provided in the directions.
3. Office record keeping - These questions test your ability to perform common office record keeping tasks. The test consists of two or more "sets" of questions, each set concerning a different problem. Typical record keeping problems might involve the organization or collation of data from several sources; scheduling; maintaining a record system using running balances; or completion of a table summarizing data using totals, subtotals, averages and percents. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
A Guide for the Written Test for Higher Level Account Clerical is available at the New York State website:www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm . Candidates not having access to a computer or the internet may request copy of the test guide from the municipal civil service office conducting this examination using the contact information found elsewhere on this announcement.
DATABASE PERFORMANCE TEST - A performance test will also be held on a later WEEKDAY DATE, to be announced. The test will be a performance test that will require you to use a conventional personal computer (PC) with a standard keyboard to perform various clerical tasks using pre-established databases. The databases will be of a generic variety; you do not need any present knowledge of these databases in order to do well on the test. When you begin the testing program you will receive graphic on-screen instructions that tell you how to use the databases and how to take the test.
The test will consist of three parts. In Part One, you will be required to add, delete and update various records in a database. In Part Two, you will be required to look up records in a database and write down selected information from the records onto printed forms. In Part Three, the computer will present questions about the information that you wrote down in Part Two. You will enter your answers directly into the PC. Your rating (pass/fail) on this test will be based on the amount of data entered and on the accuracy of those entries.
You must pass both the written and performance tests to be eligible for appointment. Your score on the eligible list will be based on your score on the written test.
DATABASE MANIPULATION (DB CLERK) PERFORMANCE TEST WAIVER POLICY: Candidates who have taken and passed a qualifying database performance test under the auspices of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources or the New York State Department of Civil Service MAY be waived from the required performance test for this examination. Waivers for this database-clerical test will not be granted for typing tests, production data entry, or emergency-data entry tests that you may have passed. Requests for waiver, and all supporting documentation, must be submitted with your application, and will not be accepted after you have participated in the written examination.
The Westchester County Department of Human Resources reserves final approval of the acceptability of the submitted waiver.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. The use of a quiet, hand-held, and solar or battery powered calculator is RECOMMENDED. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries, or any similar devices are prohibited. You may not bring books or other reference materials to the examination location.
2. If you are filing for examinations offered by other agencies (New York State, another County, Cities of Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, etc.) that are being given on the same date as this examination, you must make arrangements to take all examinations at one test site. You are also required to complete and return the Cross Filer Form, available at Westchester County Department of Human Resources, 148 Martine Avenue, Suite 100, White Plains, NY 10601 or download the form at www.westchestergov.com/hr, to this office no less than two (2) weeks prior to the examination date. Failure to provide such information on time may result in disqualification from one or more examinations in this series. There is NO reciprocity with New York City and you must make a choice between the two jurisdictions.
Furthermore, if you have applied for both New York State and Westchester County examinations, you must take all examinations at the state examination center. Candidates must take admission notices for all participating examinations on that test date to the state examination center and include all examination numbers on your test materials. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL 914-995-2117. DO NOT CONTACT NEW YORK STATE.
3. Candidates who fail to receive either their admission notice or final disqualification notice by the Thursday prior to the examination are responsible for calling the Department of Human Resources (995-2117), for instructions.
4. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
5. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
6. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT – If offered employment, you will be subject to the Westchester County Fingerprinting Policy under which your appointment may be conditioned on the results of a fingerprinting investigation.
7. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
8. Veterans and Veterans with Disabilities, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Veteran with a disability, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits.
Veterans who previously used non-disabled veteran credits for appointment to a position in New York State or local government AND, after his/her appointment, was subsequently classified by the Veterans Administration as a disabled veteran, are now eligible for an award of additional veteran credits. If you are claiming additional disabled veteran credits as a result of the Amendment to Section Six of Article Five of the New York State Constitution effective January 1, 2014, Form 102 Authorization for Disability Record and Form 102S Authorization for Verification of Non-Disabled Veterans Credits Use must be submitted. Completed forms must be received by the Westchester County Department of Human Resources before an eligible list is established in order to be granted credits on that eligible list.
9. In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points on a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION FILING FEE
A $40.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE FEE MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION(S) AND MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE AT THE ADDRESS NOTED BELOW BY THE LAST FILING DATE.
SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO THE WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES WITH YOUR APPLICATION. WRITE THE EXAMINATION NUMBER (S) AND THE APPLICANT’S NAME ON THE CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS RECEIVED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED FEE, IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU. SHOULD YOU WISH TO REFILE WITH THE REQUIRED FEE, YOUR APPLICATION AND THE APPROPRIATE FEES MUST BE RETURNED PRIOR TO, OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN, THE LAST FILING DATE. (METERED MAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE LAST FILING DATE.)
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Security Income payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. The fee may also be waived for those who are serving active military duty. Documentation proving eligibility must be submitted with each application. All claims for application fee waivers are subject to verification.
You may obtain blank application forms in person and submit completed exam application forms to the:
WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF
SUITE 100, MICHAELIAN OFFICE BUILDING
148 MARTINE AVENUE
WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK 10601
Completed applications MUST be postmarked NO LATER THAN THE LAST FILING DATE and must have the required application fee attached; or, if not mailed, delivered to the above address together with the required application fee attached NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. on the last filing date.
NOTE: RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATION - Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the appropriate box under “Testing Accommodation” on your application. We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES - If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application.
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
Admission cards may not be mailed to candidates until ten days prior to the examination date.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.