CIVIL SERVICE PROMOTIONAL
OPPORTUNITIES FOR CURRENT EMPLOYEES
County Service · Westchester Medical Center ·Towns · Villages · School Districts
· Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 12/20/06
Exam #: 70-112
Exam Date: 1/20/07
(TAXI AND LIMOUSINE COMMISSION)
A NON-REFUNDABLE $25.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
$48,270 - Starting
$60,040 - Maximum reached in four additional steps
Immediately preceding the time of examination must have 12 months continuous permanent competitive class status as a Staff Assistant (TLC) as a Westchester County government employee.
Note: Persons who are currently employed under Section 55a, New York State Civil Service Law, and who meet all the above eligibility requirements in the non-competitive rather than competitive class may compete in this examination.
Under general supervision, an incumbent of this position assists in coordinating and implementing programs within the Taxi and Limousine Commission and performs a variety of administrative functions to ensure the smooth operation of the office. Responsibilities may involve, but are not limited to, developing and recommending internal procedures; assisting in program development and evaluation as well as public information activities; assisting with financial monitoring and analysis; and maintaining liaison with the community and members of the for-hire industry. Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this class; guidance and instruction may be provided. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
Candidates who qualify for this promotional examination may also apply to the open-competitive examination, #64-386, to be held on the same day.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
WRITTEN TEST is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Administration - These questions test for knowledge of the managerial functions involved in directing an organization or an organizational segment. These questions cover such areas as: developing objectives and formulating policies; making decisions based on the context of the administrator's position and authority; forecasting and planning; organizing; developing personnel; coordinating and informing; guiding and leading; testing and evaluating; and budgeting.
2. Office Record Keeping - These questions test your ability to perform common office record keeping tasks. The test consists of two or more "sets" of questions, each set concerning a different problem. Typical record keeping problems might involve the organization or collation of data from several sources; scheduling; maintaining a record system using running balances; or completion of a table summarizing data using totals, subtotals, averages and percents.
3. Preparing Written Material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. Understanding and Interpreting Written Material - These questions test how well you comprehend written material. You will be provided with brief reading selections and will be asked questions about the selections. All the information required to answer the questions will be presented in the selections; you will not be required to have any special knowledge relating to the subject areas of the selections.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. Unless otherwise notified, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, and solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, ‘Spell Checkers,’ ‘Personal Digital Assistants,’ ‘Address Books,’ ‘Language Translators,’ ‘Dictionaries,’ or any similar devices are prohibited. You may not bring books or other reference materials to the examination location.
2. If you are filing for any other jurisdiction’s examination(s) (i.e. New York State, New York City, another County, Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Mt. Vernon), that are being given on the same date as this examination, you are required to notify this office in writing no less than two (2) weeks prior to the examination date. Failure to provide such information may result in disqualification from one or more examinations in this series. There is NO reciprocity with New York City, and you must make a choice between the two jurisdictions.
3. Candidates who fail to receive either their admission notice or final disqualification notice by the Thursday prior to the examination are responsible for calling the Department of Human Resources (995-2117), for instructions.
4. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
5. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
6. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
7. Disabled and non-disabled veterans, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Disabled Veteran, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits."
SENIORITY: Excluding the first year, points will be added to an eligible score as follows: 1.0 point for each 5 years or fraction thereof of permanent status in the classified service in Westchester County or Appointing Authority (as applicable) from 1 year to 26 years, calculated in years and months, not days. (0-1 year = 0; over 1 year - 6 years = 1; over 6 years - 11 years = 2; over 11 years - 16 years = 3; over 16 years - 21 years = 4; over 21 years - 26 years = 5).
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION FILING FEE
A $25.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE FEE MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION (S) AND MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE AT THE ADDRESS NOTED BELOW BY THE LAST FILING DATE.
SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO THE WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES WITH YOUR APPLICATION. WRITE THE EXAMINATION NUMBER (S) AND THE APPLICANT’S NAME ON THE CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS RECEIVED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED FEE, IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU. SHOULD YOU WISH TO REFILE WITH THE REQUIRED FEE, YOUR APPLICATION AND THE APPROPRIATE FEES MUST BE RETURNED PRIOR TO, OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN, THE LAST FILING DATE. (METERED MAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE LAST FILING DATE.)
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
You may obtain blank application forms in person and submit completed exam application forms to the:
WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF
SUITE 100, MICHAELIAN OFFICE BUILDING
148 MARTINE AVENUE
WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK 10601
Completed applications MUST be postmarked NO LATER THAN THE LAST FILING DATE and must have the required application fee attached; or, if not mailed, delivered to the above address together with the required application fee attached NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. on the last filing date.
NOTE: RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATION - Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the appropriate box under “Testing Accommodation” on your application. We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date.
DISABLED APPLICANTS - If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application.
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.