CIVIL SERVICE CAREER
County Service · Westchester Medical Center ·Towns · Villages · School Districts
· Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 4/12/10
Exam #: 66-462
Exam Date: 6/12/10
SENIOR SOCIAL CASEWORKER
A NON-REFUNDABLE $25.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
Applicants are also encouraged to apply for the Senior Social Caseworker (Spanish Speaking) exam being held the same day. Please be advised, a separate application must be filed for each exam.
$56,640 - Starting
$70,445 - Maximum reached in four additional steps
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE APPLYING FOR THIS EXAMINATION
The civil service examinations for Higher Level Caseworker titles are held on a Statewide basis in June. The Westchester County open competitive examination for Senior Social Caseworker will be held twice per year, once in June and once in December. The Westchester County promotional examination for this title will be held in June only. This examination program has been developed, specifically, to assist the Westchester County Department of Social Services in their recruitment and appointment of individuals to the position of Senior Social Caseworker. Candidates will be limited to participation in this examination series one time in a twelve (12) month period anywhere in New York State.
Candidates who plan to take other New York State Department of Civil Service examinations for “Higher-Level Caseworker” titles for other jurisdictions in the State are encouraged to apply for the exams scheduled for June 12th, so long as they meet the qualifications for Westchester County Senior Social Caseworker or Senior Social Caseworker (Spanish Speaking) examinations.
***IMPORTANT CANDIDATE NOTICE***
If you take any “Higher-Level Caseworker” examination anywhere in the State in June and then apply to take our examination in December, you will be disqualified from participation, as you are limited to taking this examination to one time in a 12-month period.
If you are only interested in a position with Westchester County, then you may take the examination in either June or December.
Candidates who are successful in this examination will have their names interfiled (placed) on the eligible list in the order of final scores. The names of candidates will remain on the eligible list for a period of one (1) year.
Should you have any questions regarding participation in this examination, please contact the Department of Human Resources at: (914) 995-2205 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no residence requirements to participate in the examination, but preference in appointment may be given to eligibles that have been residents in the appointing jurisdiction for 30 days prior to the examination and at the effective date of appointment.
A Bachelor's Degree* and two years of professional social casework experience.**
SUBSTITUTION: A Master's Degree* in Social Work may be substituted for the two years of professional casework experience.
1. Possession of a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York will be required at the time of appointment.
2. Candidates must receive a satisfactory clearance issued by the New York State Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment and must consent to a background investigation in accordance with the provisions of the Child Abuse Prevention Act of 1985 and New York State Social Services Law.
**DEFINITION: Social Casework is defined as maintaining a caseload of clients which includes making assessments for multiple services, coordination of services and performance of follow up visits to continually reassess client needs.
Social Casework experience does not include determining eligibility for benefits, such as food stamps, medical assistance, housing, child support, emergency services, day care, HEAP assistance, etc., or coordination thereof.
Note: The number of years of experience required in the minimum qualifications is based upon the presumption of full-time employment. Part-time experience will be prorated based on a 35 hour workweek.
ONLY EXPERIENCE GAINED AFTER ATTAINING THE MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL INDICATED IN THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED IN EVALUATING EXPERIENCE.
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution accredited or recognized by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
ALL CANDIDATES QUALIFYING BY POST HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION MUST SUBMIT AN OFFICIAL (RAISED SEAL AND SIGNED BY REGISTRAR) TRANSCRIPT (S) TO THIS OFFICE BY AUGUST 12, 2010, UNLESS ALREADY ON FILE IN OUR OFFICE. IF IT IS ON FILE, PLEASE INDICATE THIS ON YOUR APPLICATION. FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE REQUIRED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A SCORE FOR THIS EXAMINATION.
NOTE: If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside of the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to this Department for a list of acceptable companies providing this service; you must pay the required evaluation fee.
Under general supervision, an incumbent performs difficult social casework and assists with the leadership and oversight of an assigned unit. Incumbents of this class evaluates the need for the type, level and range of services, child care, or casework services to adults, families and/or children; and arranges for the delivery of services as provided under existing laws, rules, and regulations. This position involves responsibility for assisting and acting in a leadership role with the Unit Supervisor by assisting with the training of new staff and providing guidance and expertise to existing staff on program and procedural changes. Incumbents may be assigned to projects requiring the analysis and development of service delivery systems, and can be expected to suggest changes to the supervisor regarding improved service delivery for their unit. Assignment may also include more difficult casework services in child protective and emergency services requiring advanced level casework skills. Work is performed within the framework of detailed laws, rules, regulations and guidelines, but with the expectation of independent initiative in case management, fieldwork and interviewing. Provides advice, guidance and leadership to other caseworkers and staff as the senior member of the unit and acts in the absence of the Unit Supervisor. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
This examination will also be given on a promotional basis on the same day, and the resulting eligible list will have preference in making appointments. If you qualify for the promotional examination, you must file a separate application for each examination.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
WRITTEN TEST is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Case histories in social Services casework programs - These questions will be designed to test your knowledge and ability to provide appropriate and effective case services to clients who use various Social Services programs. Question topics may include, but are not necessarily limited to: establishing rapport with clients; assessing client problems; developing and implementing plans which effectively address those problems; providing ongoing support to clients; appropriate utilization of Social Services and other social and community programs; evaluation of client progress; and case closure.
2. Interviewing - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in obtaining information from individuals through structured conversations. These questions require you to apply the principles, practices, and techniques of effective interviewing to hypothetical interviewing situations. Included are questions that present a problem arising from an interviewing situation, and you must choose the most appropriate course of action to take.
3. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. Principles and practices of social casework - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices used in social casework. Questions may cover such topics as: symptoms and treatments associated with various mental, social, and physical illnesses and disabilities; client rights and confidentiality; referral techniques; maintaining client records; establishing and maintaining relationships with clients, families, co-workers, referral agencies, and the general public; and professional and ethical concerns in casework practice.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. Unless otherwise notified, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, and solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, ‘Spell Checkers,’ ‘Personal Digital Assistants,’ ‘Address Books,’ ‘Language Translators,’ ‘Dictionaries,’ or any similar devices are prohibited. You may not bring books or other reference materials to the examination location.
2. If you are filing for any other jurisdiction’s examination(s) (i.e. New York State, New York City, another County, Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Mt. Vernon), that are being given on the same date as this examination, you are required to notify this office in writing no less than two (2) weeks prior to the examination date. Failure to provide such information may result in disqualification from one or more examinations in this series. There is NO reciprocity with New York City, and you must make a choice between the two jurisdictions.
3. Candidates who fail to receive either their admission notice or final disqualification notice by the Thursday prior to the examination are responsible for calling the Department of Human Resources (995-2117), for instructions.
4. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists may be established for a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
5. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
6. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT – If offered employment, you will be subject to the Westchester County Fingerprinting Policy under which your appointment may be conditioned on the results of a fingerprinting investigation.
7. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
8. Veterans and Veterans with Disabilities, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Veteran with a disability, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the appropriate box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits."
9. In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points on a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION FILING FEE
A $25.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE FEE MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION (S) AND MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE AT THE ADDRESS NOTED BELOW BY THE LAST FILING DATE.
SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO THE WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES WITH YOUR APPLICATION. WRITE THE EXAMINATION NUMBER (S) AND THE APPLICANT’S NAME ON THE CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS RECEIVED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED FEE, IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU. SHOULD YOU WISH TO REFILE WITH THE REQUIRED FEE, YOUR APPLICATION AND THE APPROPRIATE FEES MUST BE RETURNED PRIOR TO, OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN, THE LAST FILING DATE. (METERED MAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE LAST FILING DATE.)
THE APPLICATION FILING FEE IS SUBJECT TO BEING INCREASED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Security Income payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. The fee may also be waived for those who are serving active military duty. Documentation proving eligibility must be submitted with each application. All claims for application fee waivers are subject to verification.
You may obtain blank application forms in person and submit completed exam application forms to the:
WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF
SUITE 100, MICHAELIAN OFFICE BUILDING
148 MARTINE AVENUE
WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK 10601
Completed applications MUST be postmarked NO LATER THAN THE LAST FILING DATE and must have the required application fee attached; or, if not mailed, delivered to the above address together with the required application fee attached NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. on the last filing date.
NOTE: RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATION - Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the appropriate box under “Testing Accommodation” on your application. We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES - If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application.
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
Admission cards may not be mailed to candidates until ten days prior to the examination date.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is the policy of Westchester County to provide for and promote the equal opportunity of employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.