CIVIL SERVICE CAREER
County Service · Westchester Medical Center ·Towns · Villages · School Districts · Special Districts · Cities of Peekskill & Rye
Last Filing Date: 9/15/03
Exam #: 65-553
Exam Date: 10/25/03
Towns & Villages,
Cities of Peekskill and Rye
A NON-REFUNDABLE $15.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. SEE APPLICATION FILING FEE STATEMENT ON LAST SECTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT.
There are no residence requirements to participate in the examination, but preference in appointment may be given to eligibles that have been residents in the appointing jurisdiction for 30 days prior to the examination and at least 30 days prior to the effective date of appointment.
Either: (a) graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and three (3) years of experience in general building maintenance or in the building trades including or supplemented by two years in a supervisory capacity; or (b) seven (7) years of experience in general building maintenance or in the building trades including or supplemented by two years in a supervisory capacity; or (c) a satisfactory equivalent combination of the foregoing training and experience.
Under the general supervision of the housing authority administrator, an incumbent of this class supervises and performs tasks in the maintenance, repair and upkeep of housing authority properties including grounds. The incumbent is responsible for planning and evaluating work, and providing assessments and written work project reports to the housing authority administrator and/or board of directors. This position interacts with housing authority staff, contractors, suppliers/vendors, tenants and/or building inspectors. Supervision is exercised over maintenance personnel including mechanics, laborers, cleaners, etc. Does related work as required.
The eligible list established as a result of this examination will be utilized, where appropriate, for filling any current or future vacancies in all agencies under the jurisdiction of the Westchester County Department of Human Resources.
This examination will also be given on a promotional basis on the same day, and the resulting eligible list will have preference in making appointments. If you qualify for the promotional examination, you must file a separate application for each examination.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION
WRITTEN TEST is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Building Maintenance and Repair
2. Building Trades, Including Mechanical and Electrical
3. Grounds Maintenance
4. Work Scheduling
5. Review and Interpretation of Plans and Specifications, the Preparation of Estimates, and Oversight of Contract Compliance
6. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale and discipline.
GENERAL NOTICE TO CANDIDATES FOR ALL CIVIL SERVICE EXAMS
1. Candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, and solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries, or any similar devices are prohibited. You may not bring books or other reference materials to the examination location.
2. If you are filing for any other jurisdiction’s examination(s) (i.e. New York State, New York City, another County, Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Mt. Vernon), that are being given on the same date as this examination, you are required to notify this office in writing no less than two (2) weeks prior to the examination date. Failure to provide such information may result in disqualification from one or more examinations in this series. There is NO reciprocity with New York City, and you must make a choice between the two jurisdictions.
3. Candidates who fail to receive either their admission notice or final disqualification notice by the Thursday prior to the examination are responsible for calling the Department of Human Resources (995-2117), for instructions.
4. ELIGIBLE LISTS - Lists are established for a duration of one year unless further extended up to a maximum of four years. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill appropriate vacancies as they occur in the agencies listed on the face of this announcement.
5. FOR COUNTY EMPLOYMENT - In accordance with Westchester County’s comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Procedures, and commitment to maintain a safe, alcohol and drug- free work environment, you may be required to submit to a urinalysis and/or blood test.
6. This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
7. Disabled and non-disabled veterans, who meet the criteria set forth in the Application for Examination, may be eligible for additional credits added to their earned scores if successful in examination. CREDITS MUST BE CLAIMED AT THE TIME OF FILING YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR DD214 SEPARATION PAPERS. If claiming credit as a Disabled Veteran, attach form 102. If these documents are not submitted within sixty days of filing your application, your claim will be denied. "Active duty members of the Armed Forces have the right to request veteran credits prior to discharge. If you are currently on active duty you should check the "other" box on the application and attach a letter requesting the use of credits with documentation verifying your active duty status: i.e. copy of military ID, military orders, official documents indicating current service, etc." See our website section "Special Rights for Veterans" for details regarding the use of these credits."
8. In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points on a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION FILING FEE
A $15.00 APPLICATION FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE FEE MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION (S) AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE LAST FILING DATE. SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO THE WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES WITH YOUR APPLICATION. WRITE THE EXAMINATION NUMBER (S) AND THE APPLICANT’S NAME ON THE CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
APPLICATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM OR FAIL TO APPEAR FOR THE EXAMINATION, YOUR FEE IS NOT REFUNDED. THEREFORE, WE URGE YOU TO COMPARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION AND FILE ONLY FOR THOSE EXAMINATIONS FOR WHICH YOU ARE CLEARLY QUALIFIED.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS RECEIVED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED FEE, IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU. SHOULD YOU WISH TO REFILE WITH THE REQUIRED FEE, YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED PRIOR TO OR POSTED NO LATER THAN THE LAST FILING DATE.
THE FEE MAY BE SUBJECT TO INCREASE.
You may obtain application forms in person from the:
WESTCHESTER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF
SUITE 100, MICHAELIAN OFFICE BUILDING
148 MARTINE AVENUE
WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK 10601
Completed applications MUST be postmarked NO LATER THAN THE LAST FILING DATE and must have the required application fee attached; or, if not mailed, delivered to the above address together with the required application fee attached NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. on the last filing date.
ALL applications are subject to the above rule.
NOTE: RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATION – Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date.
DISABLED APPLICANTS -- If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application.
Candidates are responsible for reporting in writing, all changes in name and/or address directly to the “Recruitment and Selection Unit” at the above address. Please include examination number on all correspondence.
Admission cards may not be mailed to candidates until ten days prior to the examination date.
Candidates, who receive disqualification notices and wish to appeal such disqualification, must do so in writing within 10 days from the date on the notice prior to the examination date.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.